Friday, September 10, 2010

Was it really almost a decade ago?

Yes..it is 9yrs as of today that some 3,000 innocent souls were snuffed out by 19 jihadists in 2 planes crashing into the Twin Towers of the WTC. Some this day will post videos that have been made as a memorial, some will post a roll call of the fallen. Me..I'll just point out that it's been 9yrs and the cancer still eats at our world. We aren't finished yet and may not be in a long train of years to come. This thought does not give me comfort, it doesn't give me pleasure.

I will give you the words of Kipling this day...
Recessional by Rudyard Kipling
God of our fathers, known of old --
Lord of our far-flung battle line --
Beneath whose awful hand we hold
Dominion over palm and pine --
Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet,
Lest we forget -- lest we forget!

The tumult and the shouting dies --
The Captains and the Kings depart --
Still stands Thine ancient sacrifice,
An humble and a contrite heart.
Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet,
Lest we forget -- lest we forget!

Far-called our navies melt away --
On dune and headland sinks the fire --
Lo, all our pomp of yesterday
Is one with Nineveh and Tyre!
Judge of the Nations, spare us yet,
Lest we forget -- lest we forget!

If, drunk with sight of power, we loose
Wild tongues that have not Thee in awe --
Such boastings as the Gentiles use,
Or lesser breeds without the Law --
Lord God of Hosts, be with us yet,
Lest we forget -- lest we forget!

For heathen heart that puts her trust
In reeking tube and iron shard --
All valiant dust that builds on dust,
And guarding calls not Thee to guard.
For frantic boast and foolish word,
Thy Mercy on Thy People, Lord!
Amen.


************************************************************************************************************************************

September 11th, 2001
Never Forget
Never Forgive


Edit 16hrs later:


I woke up early this morning and forgot, for all of about the 10mins it took me to get dressed and head out the door for a little quick shopping trip. After the rubber met the road it hit me again and I remembered. After I got home I discovered the family was watching the various services and even briefly flipped it over to MSNBC's taped footage of their coverage that day.
I don't need to watch it. See...I've got 3-4 days worth of it on cassette. I taped it for posterity. Non stop 24 hrs..3-4 days of coverage. Lest I forget. Doing that however...I find I don't need to watch them to remind me. All I need do, is look up at the stack of VHS cassettes on top of my book case, and I can see it.

I remember where I was that morning. I was at work, at Kmart..in the sporting goods dept putting away merchandise off of 4 pallets from the day befores' delivery. After the first plane hit the tower..it was originally thought a bomb was exploded. Someone came over to say "Sean someone exploded a bomb at the WTC." I kept working for a minute then walked over to the electronics dept. Just in time to see the plane hit the 2nd tower. I remember thinking right after "Someone has got to pay for this. We're going to war" a heavy thought for so early in the morning. Several of us got into trouble that day..for neglecting our work and wandering over to electronics to watch the chaos. Me I didn't care if I got yelled at. We'd just been attacked. At some point in the few minutes after the 2nd tower was hit, I'd called my sister and told her to pop a blank cassette in the VCR, put it on any channel and hit record. It's 9yrs later..and I can still picture that day as clear as if I were there again.

I'll never forget. As for forgiveness..I'll forgive when all those who committed that act, and those who fight because they believe as the hijackers did, are all dead...or I am.

4 comments:

  1. Personally, I think of Dylan Thomas today.

    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rage at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

    Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
    Because their words had forked no lightning they
    Do not go gentle into that good night.

    Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
    Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

    Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
    And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
    Do not go gentle into that good night.

    Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
    Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

    And you, my father, there on the sad height,
    Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
    Do not go gentle into that good night.

    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will never forget.
    Not only what those murderous bastids did to all those innocent people in NY/DC/Pa and their families, but what they did to the rest of us.
    Terrorism only works if we allow it to. Any concessions to islam are a sign of fear and weakness, which I will never condone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Islam CANNOT be reasoned with except by force. If verses from the koran (small k)that contained anything regarding hate and bloodshed were removed from the POS they call the most holy, there would be but a few pages left.

    They are only peace loving when you are COMPLETELY submissive to their pathetic views.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments boys. Feel free to pass out the URL
    Basset..yeah I know..we talked about that particular poem the other night on IM:)

    NO2-ditto

    piccalo-ditto.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to drop a line but try and keep it civil if it breaks into a heated discussion.